"I think I know what we are going to do today Mom"
I am a mother of two rambunctious boys ages 9 and 2. I also have a chronic autoimmune disease which has changed my life around. I cannot do the things I used to. I do not want my kids to feel like they miss out on things. We have been using Pinterest frequently. It is a treasure chest of inspiration. We pin and pin and pin! Then they sit there....on the bulletin board. These great creative ideas that scream at me and make me desire to be more creative! I think I can do that! I cannot do a lot of things but I can do some things! I just have to change some! I am not working currently due to the disease. This summer I want to make fun! I want it to be one they remember! So...our goal is to take one of the creative ideas we have pinned a day and complete it. A pin a day. This can be a little one, a big one, just something to break up the summer days and do things that we normally would not! We can do it! These ideas are from the creative minds on pinterest and we hope you enjoy them! 86 days of Summer!!!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

EXPLOSION BAGS

Time for some more science fun! My 9 year old loves playing with vinegar and baking soda to see the different results he has. We found the explosion bags on homeschooljournal, along with a few more projects we will try. Great site for older boys!

EXPLOSION BAGS
ITEMS NEEDED
ZIPLOC BAG
PAPER TOWEL
WATER
BAKING SODA
VINEGAR

Follow these directions from homeschool journal:



Tear a paper towel into a square that measures about 5 inches by 5 inches. Put 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking soda in the center of the square, then fold the sides of the square in toward the middle, and then the opposite sides in toward the middle, with the baking soda inside. This is your "time-release packet." Pour into your plastic bag, 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of warm water.

Now here's the tricky part. You need to drop the time-release packet into the vinegar and zip the bag closed before the fizzing gets out of control. You can zip the bag halfway closed, then stuff the packet in and zip the bag closed the rest of the way in a hurry, or you can put the time-release packet into the mouth of the bag and hold it up out of the vinegar by pinching the sides of the bag. Zip the bag closed and then let the packet drop into the vinegar. One way or another, get the packet in the vinegar and zip the bag closed.


ADD THE VINEGAR OUTSIDE!! MY HUBBY DID IT IN THE KITCHEN THINKING HE HAD A FEW SECONDS TO GET OUTSIDE AND HE WAS ABOUT 4 STEPS FROM THE FRONT DOOR. THE BOYS GOT A KICK OUT OF THAT!!!!:))
They had a lot of fun with this! Nice and noisy and if you add food coloring to the vinegar first it gets some great color foam! My husband is like a big kid when it comes to this stuff so after they tried this they tried to explode a water bottle with it, and medicine bottle. Neither worked. The water bottle did get a ton of pressure but it had enough air to leak some out and not explode it. They had fun trying though! Tomorrow we will get the volcano action going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave messages, comments, feedback or your own findings on projects!