"I think I know what we are going to do today Mom"
I am a mother of two rambunctious boys ages 9 and 2. I also have a chronic autoimmune disease which has changed my life around. I cannot do the things I used to. I do not want my kids to feel like they miss out on things. We have been using Pinterest frequently. It is a treasure chest of inspiration. We pin and pin and pin! Then they sit there....on the bulletin board. These great creative ideas that scream at me and make me desire to be more creative! I think I can do that! I cannot do a lot of things but I can do some things! I just have to change some! I am not working currently due to the disease. This summer I want to make fun! I want it to be one they remember! So...our goal is to take one of the creative ideas we have pinned a day and complete it. A pin a day. This can be a little one, a big one, just something to break up the summer days and do things that we normally would not! We can do it! These ideas are from the creative minds on pinterest and we hope you enjoy them! 86 days of Summer!!!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Home Made Air Dry Clay! Day 10!

Hello! I am running a bit behind on entering the posts! So little time by myself! :) Carter uses clay in art class and really enjoys it. He has been begging to make it. I decided on the air dry kind thinking it would be less work! It probably was but takes a lot longer to dry! It has been 24 hours and they are still not dry! Carter made father's day presents for Mike (a worry stone and ball) a snake for himself, vitamin holders for 2 Grandpa's and a cigar ashtray for the other one! We will paint when it drys enough and repost!
We found the recipe via pinterest at http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com/how-to-make-clay.html#airhardening


Air Hardening Modeling Clay




Baking soda and cornstarch make a smooth, pliable play clay that can be colored with everyday food coloring - or left white and painted once it hardens. When you have made your model, leave it to air dry - turning every 12 hours or so.
Place ingredients in a pan and stir until smooth. Set the pan over a medium heat and stir until boiling. Stir out any lumps and cook until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
Turn out onto a plate and cover with a damp, well-wrung kitchen towel - let cool. Dust a work surface with cornstarch and knead until pliable





 



Some Tips From our experience!
  • Make early in the morning! It takes a while to cool down!
  • Takes more than 24 hours to dry so do not plan on painting the next day!
  • When turning every 12 hours be CAREFUL! Very fragile and cracks easy!
  • Don't forget to have your kids sign the bottom before drying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave messages, comments, feedback or your own findings on projects!